Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Being

I have been thinking a lot lately (surprising isn't it) about being. It seems like God's answer to all my questions lately are about being. What is it about us Human Beings that being is so foreign to us?

I saw a piece of flair that had a picture of a salt shaker and a light bulb with the statement, "Be these." It got me to thinking that I have always been puzzled as to what to do so that I am the salt of the earth and the light in the darkness. But, of course, it doesn't say do these, it says be these. I think this is just one instance of many that Christians in general don't understand. Here is the actual verse:

"You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt has become tasteless, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled under foot by men." Matthew 5:13

"You are the salt of the earth . . ." Not, "You are becoming . . ." or "Strive to act more like . . ." you either are salt or you're tasteless.

"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. " Matthew 5:14-16

Again, you are. You are the light of the world, you are a city set on a hill, don't think that you can hide. He has lit His light in us and set us on a lampstand, we do give light to the whole house. So, let your light shine.

You may be thinking, "Yes, I've always known that, so what is your point?" But this is very important to me because I have not always known it. Of course I've always read that verse, probably heard it preached on, but I was always wondering how to become light, or how to become salt. In short, I wondered what God expected of me and why He wouldn't come out and say it.

If I sound like I'm repeating the same old thinking in every post it's because I am. I keep posting about the different areas that a totally new way of thinking have changed for me, on the faith that there is nothing new under the sun and I'm not the only person who has ever thought this way.

I now realize that these verses are not commands, they are blessings. Jesus is not telling me something to do, He is telling me who I am. I am not the dirt of the earth, I am the flavorful and (at that time) expensive salt of the earth.

Of course, being does culminate in acting. But, please get the being first.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Yeah! It's sad to hear people talk about "how" we can be light. I would venture a guess that most people don't get this. Or, at least, I keep running into people that have it backwards. We ARE light. We ARE salt. Woo hoo! =)

Bailey said...

you know the salt and the light thing sounds a lot like what i got from one of the last chapter of Do Hard Things...

Anonymous said...

Well said, Lauren.
Whenever acting crowds out being I am tasteless and no one is drawn to that.
Love ya,
Bonnie

Cassie said...

Oh Lauren...you happy smirker you!